History

 

The South Plains Council has a rich and storied history of activities and efforts that have successfully supported and influenced generations of young men and women through the Scouting program.

 

 

In the fall of 1924, Mr. L.S. Harkey approached Mr. K.N. Clapp with the idea of organizing an Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Mr. Clapp agreed to help, and they gathered a group of men together including Sam Henry, Sr. of Lubbock, Marshall Mason of Post, Joe N. Spikes and Dr. J. C. Loveless of Lamesa and made an application for local Council Charter.

The National Council chartered the South Plains Council, Boy Scouts of America in January 1925. 

The first president of the Council was Mr. Sim O'Neal, assisted by Vice-President Mr. Clapp, and the first Scout Executive was Mr. H.B. Palmer. Mr. Clapp organized a Scout Troop, and this was used as an exhibition troop. The Troop was taken from town to town throughout the area of the Council, where they put on demonstrations of scouting skills and camped in the City Square. Troops were organized throughout the area by this procedure.

The first camp of the Council was held in July 1925, at Ruidoso Springs, New Mexico, nearly 300 miles from Lubbock. 142 boys and 34 men camped for 10 days. The Council quickly grew to at least 12 Troops actively camping, with a membership of 306 boys.

The document attached below gives a year-by-year account of the growth and activities of the Council throughout its formative years through to the mid-1950s.  Those with memories that can be added to this history are invited to contact the Council office.

 

 

FOUNDERS OF THE SOUTH PLAINS COUNCIL

KENNEDY N. CLAPP

DR. J. C. LOVELESS

L. S. HARKEY

MARSHALL MASON

SAM A. HENRY

JOE N. SPIKES

DR. PAUL V. HORN

H. B. PALMER

 

THE CENTRAL PLAINSCOUNCIL

In 1922, a second class
council was organized with
an office in Plainview.
Comprised of the following
counties: Briscoe, Castro,
Floyd, Hale, Lamb, Motley
and Swisher.

 

1922-1930 ? ? E. L. Roberts 
1931 transferred to Direct
Service - to South Plains
Council in 1936.

 

Researched by:

Harry B. Massingill, Jr.,

District Executive - April 1987. 

Revised: 1/91

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle
  • Pinterest - White Circle

30 Briercroft Office Park  Lubbock, Tx 79412

Phone: (806) 747-2631