Each year we are excited to support the very worthwhile annual food collection called "Scouting for Food" to help provide for nutritional needs within our community. This important and very visible Scouting activity is part of the U-Can-Share Food Drive of the South Plains Food Bank and partners.
To request information or adjustments for your unit area assignments within the city and county, contact the Scouting for Food District Coordinator.
Reminder: Don't forget to report your unit's service hours for this and other community service projects on the Good Turn for America site to raise the visibility of your efforts! (See also this movie regarding food collection and Good Turn for America on the scouting.org site.) We appreciate everyone's help with this effort.
Scouting for Food 2011 General Information
Including food donation pickup area assignments for all Chaparral District Scouting units
Note: Please check your area assignments and household counts carefully! Changes have been made recently to update these according to unit feedback using US Census estimates and comparative aerial photo surveys. We need your feedback each year to make corrections if these estimates are incorrect, either too high or too low, so please help us by providing your observations of changes in your assigned neighborhoods.
- DOOR HANGERS – This year we have plenty of door hangers for everyone to have their full allotment for their neighborhood. The door hangers this year states for all food to be put on their front porch by 9 a.m. with the date listed specifically when we will pick up.
- PICKING UP OF DOOR HANGERS – Hangers will be ready for pick up beginning Tuesday, November 29th through Saturday at my house or at the district banquet on Friday, December 2nd. If the person picking up for your unit is not the Scouting for Food person, please be sure they communicate that they have picked them up. Please either email me or call me at 831-9132 so we can arrange a pick up time for you to get your unit's door hangers.
- UNIT ASSIGNMENTS - Below is a list of all units, their assigned area, and their assigned drop off location. A few changes this year. If your unit is NOT listed below, please contact me directly and I will assign your unit an area. We have several unassigned areas. Here is a link to a map showing the assigned areas and drop off locations for all units. The map that shows each unit’s assigned area is also available at http://tinyurl.com/7qrr9g. When you pick up your hangers, a letter of information and a map of your area will be included.
- DROP OFF LOCATIONS FOR DAY OF FOOD PICK UP- As shown in the maps linked above and the downloadable guide below, we will have 3 drop off locations this year. Location A is Gander Mountain. Location B is Sutherlands at 50th & Memphis. Location C is the main food bank location at United on 82nd & Frankford. Please help us out by adhering to the assigned drop off locations as it helps with safety for the boys when dropping off food.
- PICK UP TIME FOR FOOD BAGS - Please plan on picking up between 9am - 11am and dropping off at your assigned drop off location by noon on Saturday, Dec. 10th, 2011. We ask that you wait till 9am when you start and hopefully we can cut down on the number of complaints we receive for food not being picked up. Also, PLEASE be sure to pick up in the same neighborhoods where you leave the hangers. We received several complaints last year that a hanger was put out the Saturday prior, but the day of pick up, nobody picked up their food. Some units even drive their neighborhoods twice, just to be sure. Surprisingly enough, the ones we hear from the most (not complaining) are Scouters.
Finally, last year we were able to collect 45,000 pounds of food and $500 for the food bank with a few surrounding areas participating as well. As we begin this season, we hope that we can bring in the most food ever than we have in the last few years. Our record to break would be 60,000 pounds. So with everyone's help we can, do just that. Thank you in advance for all your help in this endeavor that will help out our community so much.
Yours in Scouting,
Shelly Walraven, 2011 Scouting for Food coordinator - Patti Shipton, Lynette Moore, Frank Goode - SFF Team.