The National Council chartered the South Plains Council, Boy Scouts of America in January 1925.
The first president of the Council was Mr. Sim O'Neal, assisted by Vice-President Mr. Clapp, and the first Scout Executive was Mr. H.B. Palmer. Mr. Clapp organized a Scout Troop, and this was used as an exhibition troop. The Troop was taken from town to town throughout the area of the Council, where they put on demonstrations of scouting skills and camped in the City Square. Troops were organized throughout the area by this procedure.
The first camp of the Council was held in July 1925, at Ruidoso Springs, New Mexico, nearly 300 miles from Lubbock. 142 boys and 34 men camped for 10 days. The Council quickly grew to at least 12 Troops actively camping, with a membership of 306 boys.
The document attached below gives a year-by-year account of the growth and activities of the Council throughout its formative years through to the mid-1950s. Those with memories that can be added to this history are invited to contact the Council office.
FOUNDERS OF THE
KENNEDY N. CLAPP
THE CENTRAL PLAINS
In 1922, a second class
1922-1930 ? ? E. L. Roberts